The question of how to reanimate an orchid at home, when its leaves began to fade or turn yellow, and the roots became dry and rotten, worries many lovers of a beautiful flower. Phalaenopsis can be completely rehabilitated and restored even when it is very weak.
Symptoms and causes of the disease
Accurate knowledge of the causes of flower disease will help to understand how to save an orchid and provide it with proper care.
- Flowering problems. There are three main ones:
- does not bloom
- the buds may fade or rot,
- dark spots appear on the flowers.
Healthy orchid in the right conditions
- Various rot:
- Brown bacterial. In this case, the leaves begin to rot.
- Rotten roots. In most cases, a transplant is required.
- The leaves can rot and become covered with gray or black coating - this indicates the presence of fungi.
- Fusarium rot - leaves begin to turn yellow.
- Leaf diseases:
- Anthracnose. The leaves are affected by the fungus, and they are covered with small black spots. This happens due to stagnation of water in the axils of the leaf.
- Spotting from bacteria. First, the leaves turn yellow, then they can rot, then they soften, crack, can dry and fall off.
- Deformation of the leaves, lost turgor.
- Leaf burn. Often occurs in the summer. If you do not put the orchid in the shade on time, then the leaves will die very quickly, forming holes in the burn sites.
- Powdery Mildew The plant is covered with white bloom and will soon die if no action is taken.
- Viral diseases. They do not show themselves for a long time, they cannot be treated, the flower will have to be destroyed.
Important! Once a virus is found in an orchid, you should immediately remove it from other plants and destroy it. If watering is common in one container, then other flowers are probably infected. In this case, they must be treated with antibiotics.
Causes of illness can be:
- The virus or fungus can be introduced using tools.
- Excessive or insufficient watering.
- Wrong amount of top dressing.
- Parasites, insects in the soil.
- The substrate has not changed for a long time.
- Bad light.
How to reanimate with rotten roots
How it is necessary to reanimate an orchid if all the roots have decayed is not an easy question, requiring special work.
It should be understood! Rotten roots can no longer be saved, so it will be necessary to grow them.
Steps to solve the problem:
- Extract the flower from the pot,
- Peel the root system and rinse thoroughly.
- Trim all decayed rhizomes using disinfected tools (knife or scissors). Only healthy tissue remains.
- Slices treated with crushed charcoal and fungicide.
- If mold is found, lower the plant into a potassium permanganate solution for several minutes.
If the roots still remain after processing, then it is necessary to transplant the plant into a substrate, but in a small pot. Be sure to provide the orchid with good lighting and a constant temperature of 22-25 degrees.
Orchid roots rot
Orchid without roots
How to revive an orchid at home when all its roots have decayed:
- Use regular drying and dosed irrigation;
- Using mini greenhouses.
After all rotten roots are removed, the orchid is treated with any root growth stimulator.
Additional Information. "Cornevin" for orchids is a stimulator of root growth and is often used in solving problems. This is a hormonal biological drug that stimulates root formation.
Pour water into a regular glass by adding sugar or honey (1 teaspoon per 1 liter). Then, the rosette of the plant is placed in the glass so that the leaves do not come into contact with water, and the lower part is completely immersed in it. After 8 hours, the water must be drained and the flower dried. After you must treat the outlet with a stimulator of root growth.
A mini-greenhouse is the most effective way to resuscitate a plant in the absence of a root. Take a small container where the flower will be rooted, filling it with expanded clay at the bottom and sphagnum on top. Put a socket on the prepared substrate and place the container in a greenhouse.
Phalaenopsis leaf without roots
Be sure to maintain the conditions:
- Temperature - 22-28 degrees,
- Lighting - up to 14 hours a day,
- Humidity - not less than 70%.
It is imperative to ventilate the greenhouse, and moisten the soil. After a couple of weeks, the roots will begin to grow. After they reach 4-5 cm, you can plant the plant in a substrate.
When you managed to grow the roots of an orchid, you can plant a flower in a pot with soil. However, there are situations when a plant begins to fade leaves, they stop holding their shape.
Loss of leaf turgor
How to save an orchid without roots and sluggish leaves:
- Proceed to root extension.
- If there are rotten parts of the leaf, they should be cut off, and the slices should be treated with charcoal, brilliant green or cinnamon. After drying, about eight hours.
- Create conditions for the regeneration and revitalization of the flower.
- Sluggish sheets are restored with the help of compresses: the bandage is impregnated with succinic acid.
Additional Information. Succinic acid is often used as a fertilizer for orchids. This is salvation in many cases, especially if the plant withers. Succinic acid is an absolutely safe biostimulant that will help to “revive” the flower and restore it after the stress.
Often, old leaves do not restore shape, but turn yellow and fall off. Instead, they grow new strong and strong sheets.
Resuscitation at home
Resuscitation of an orchid at home requires a lot of patience and painstaking care of the plant. It is imperative to prepare all the conditions for revitalizing the flower and further maintenance.
Additional Information. When there is too much lighting, the leaves of the plant become bright green. Light should be made less saturated until the leaves become pale green again.
Conditions of detention
For phalaenopsis, the following conditions of detention are necessary:
- Lighting - diffused, without bright sunlight.
- Temperature - avoid drafts and air conditioners.
- Humidity - 60-70%.
- Watering is regular. You can not fill the flower, put the pot with the plant in a basin with water for 25-30 minutes 1-2 times a week.
- The right soil. You can buy soil in the store and add pieces of expanded clay, oak bark and charcoal to it.
- Top dressing. Fertilizers must contain nitrogen, phosphorus and iron.
Note! The most difficult period for phalaenopsis is autumn-winter. On the street, the air temperature decreases significantly, as a result of which the heating is turned on at home. In this case, the temperature in the rooms rises, the air becomes less humid. Also, the color day is shortened, so the orchid receives less sunlight.
In order for the orchid to recover without problems, the following conditions must be observed:
- Watering should be very neat.
- Do not fertilize the flower for about a month after the “revitalization”, so that there is no negative reaction. After feeding, gradually.
- Monitor the presence of pests.
- Use only high-quality substrate.
- Maintain comfortable living conditions for orchids.
After some period after the restoration of the plant, buds will begin to appear. A dead flower stalk should be removed after the petals have fallen. If you cut the stems too soon, then new ones will be able to start only six months later.
During dormancy, the flower is placed in a warm, not very lighted place. After pruning, the orchid usually rests for two months.
Orchid in a transparent pot
Necessary care at rest:
- Do not deprive the light.
- Temperature during the day - up to 24 degrees, at night - up to 16.
- The frequency of watering is reduced. In winter, you can only spray.
- In order for the buds to start, you can create a stressful situation - temperature contrast. At night, it should drop to 4-6 degrees.
- Fertilize 3-4 weeks after transplantation.
The quality of the care during the dormant phase determines how quickly the orchid blooms again.
Before embarking on resuscitation, it is always worth exploring all the methods and choosing the right one. Only when the procedure is performed correctly, the flower will not disappear further, on the contrary, can remain viable. Then, more than once, he will delight the household with wonderful flowering.